Last Updated on
2013 Trends & Implications
Mobile shopping trends are definitely on the upswing. Three weeks ago Holiday shopping officially started. PayPal and IBM already released 2013 data for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. We’ll look at these trends and explore why local businesses should take notice.
Year Over Year Increase
PayPal saw a 99.2% increase of consumers shopping via their mobile device. They compared Black Friday 2013 to 2012 numbers. They also saw a global mobile total payments volume (TPV) for Black Friday increase of 121%.
IBM released their Digital Analytics Benchmark study. It too found a sharp uptick in mobile shopping. They reported:
- Mobile traffic grew to 39.7% of all online traffic for Black Friday. This represents an increase from 2012′ 21.8% — a whopping 43% year-over-year boost. With electronic gadgets like smartphones, iPads, Nexus tablets and Amazon Kindle Fire book readers under the Christmas tree, these numbers are expected to continue to grow.
- Smartphones edged out tablets slightly for their share of online site traffic (24.9% vs. 14.2%). Yet tablets had a higher conversion rate (4.25% vs. 1.4%).
- The average sale on both smartphones and tablets were well over $100.
Mobile Shopping Lessons
- Mobile shopping means more pressure for a mobile responsive website. If you have a different site for mobile traffic rather than an integrated with your main site, you are essentially maintaining two websites. You want the user experience (and their path through your sales funnel) to be seamless.
- It isn’t uncommon for searches (and purchases) for the same product or service to be completed across multiple devices. Understanding how your audience accesses your website and making it easy for them to navigate directly to what they are seeking will boost your sales.
- Clear call to action on each web page that’s appropriate to where they are in the sales funnel. If your audience is doing general research, a white paper on comparing features might be the right next step. If they are evaluating product features, a “Buy Now” is the obvious choice.
My advice? Get intimate for your Google Analytics data. It holds the keys to your online marketing kingdom. If you’re not comfortable extracting the information and insights, then hire an expert. We routinely pull together reporting dashboards so management gets the data they need to make strategic business decisions.
What piece of mobile shopping data would help your website and business exceed its sales goals?
How can we help?
Having difficulty extracting mobile marketing insights from Google Analytics? Need keyword research to step-up your White Hat SEO strategy?
We are the spectrum group, and we offer strategic and tactical consulting so you can monetize your online presence. Call us for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to discuss your website’s user experience and translate that into sales.