The WordPress Dashboard is getting a face lift. WP is celebrating their 10th anniversary, and over the years they’ve regularly made adjustments and added new features. But with users accessing their WordPress websites on all types of mobile devices, it was time for a major redesign. And true to their collaborative spirit, WP developers are asking users to weigh in. So what can we expect from our beloved open-source platform? Well, here’s a preview of what’s on the horizon:
WordPress Dashboard Upgrades
One of the things we truly appreciate about the WordPress Dashboard is it’s uncluttered nature. The menu is on the left side, and you can minimize it so only icons appear. That way your focus is on your website’s content, functionality and other gizmos you’ve installed. They’ve kept the look very clean but are modernizing it with these upcoming changes:
- New icons (although we don’t see many changes when doing a side-by-side comparison)
- Increased font size and contrast (cheers from the middle-aged user section)
- Responsive design so it works seamlessly with PCs, Macs, tablets and smartphones
Want to Test Drive It?
If your blog is hosted via WordPress.com, then go to the dashboard and:
- Select Users => Personal Settings
- Check “Enable Experimental Admin Design (MP6)”
- Save changes
If are hosting your website separately (the WordPress.org version), then all you need to do is install the MP6 plugin. We’ve installed it and are currently kicking the tires. Here’s my initial feedback:
- Really like the dark menu and reversed-out type as I find it easier to read.
- The new design is still user friendly — unlike the Microsoft XP/Vista debacle — I can still easily navigate where I need to go. No guessing required. Stuff is still where I expect it to be.
- When hovering over the dashboard menu, the blue highlights makes it really clear what your options are.
What do you think of the new WordPress Dashboard design? Love it or hate it?
How can we help?
Need help with generating content on your WordPress website? Or, are you tweaking website functionality to lighten the code and increase load speed? We are the spectrum group online, and we offer strategic and tactical consulting so you can monetize your online presence. Call us for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to discuss your website’s user experience and translate that into sales. Contact Us Today »