The Small Screen in the U.S.
We’re nearly halfway through the first quarter and news reports are coming out regarding the 2015 smartphone statistics and predictions. Let’s look at where we’ve been, what’s on the horizon and its SEO implications for marketing your brand on the small(er) screen.
75% Market Penetration in 2014
According to the comScore report, released on Monday, February 9, 182 million Americans now own smartphones. That represents a 74.9% mobile market penetration. That number was up 4% from September.
Apple Still in the Lead
It’s no surprise that Apple leads the pack as it relates to 2015 smartphone statistics. Apple’s market share is 41.6% and second place goes to…. Samsung at 29.7%. While Apple may have the most popular smartphone, Android reigns with the greatest number of subscribers at 53.1%.
The Implications of the U.S. 2015 Smartphone Statistics
- If you’re developing mobile apps for your business, the Android operating system is a major player. While iOS may get lots of media play, Android users are wielding more power.
- The top three smartphone apps are Facebook, YouTube and Google search. Hmmm… Google owns YouTube, so you do the math of who is really in charge.
- 2014 saw nearly 15% growth. Some predict that smartphone users will increase somewhere between 80 and 85%.
- Small is in. According to SmartInsights, using mobile devices for searches is definitely on the rise. Smartphones are used 80% and tablets at 47%. Smart wristband units (e.g., Jawbone Up, Nike Fuelband) now represent 7% of search devices.
- Big screen searches is growing too. Searching via SmartTV has reached 34%.
- Conversion rates via mobile are growing which is putting more pressure on mobile-friendly eCommerce.
- Google has made noises that mobile-friendliness is now part of their search algorithm. Those websites who embrace and cater to their mobile users may see greater gains in organic search visibility.
What are your thoughts about the 2015 smartphone statistics? Any surprises?
How can we help?
Launching a website and need help with design? Or, are you tweaking your landing pages to improve sales conversion?
We are the spectrum group online, and we offer strategic and tactical consulting so you can monetize your online presence. Call us for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to discuss your website’s user experience and translate that into sales.
photo credit: Sean MacEntee