Have You Read It Yet?
Reddit is the front page of the internet. The social media/ social aggregation website is now the 11th most viewed website in the US and houses an incredibly wide cross-section of interests. The site, structured in a similar way to a forum, has dedicated subreddits for almost any topic you can think of, from Pacman to Vietnamese Pho. So if you’re looking for an online community that’s interested in what you do, Reddit could be the place to find it. However, the community is very aware, and even hostile, towards any sign of advertising. So how can you use Reddit to help your business?
Before You Post or Advertise
- Read the Site Rules carefully if you’re a newbie – Reddit is designed for individuals to find their “community.” The object is to connect, discuss and share in an open environment. However, there are rules to engagement. Learn and follow them.
- Honesty is the best policy – If you try and pass yourself off as being a regular joe while promoting something for your own business, be prepared to get called out. Reddit loves a witch-hunt. Users sniff out corporate influence will have people digging into your post history to find out how long your account has been active, and what other things you’ve been commenting on/ posting about. If your last post was 3 years ago promoting the same business, get ready for some backlash. Your options are: a) Use your Reddit account in your free time. Comment on topics you enjoy, and build up a ‘cover story’ to hide the occasional business related post.
b) Be honest. Note that this only works if what you’re posting on Reddit is genuinely interesting. Much like Wikipedia, Reddit users will be happy to read about your business or product, but only if they’re ‘notable’. But if you do have something that a Subreddit will find interesting then post about it. If it’s really interesting you can even do an AMA, which is a kind of live Reddit interview.
- Create really high-quality content – Sharing crappy cookie-cutter content is going to get called out pretty fast. Reddit is already populated with people who “karma-whore”, which means republishing old content that was popular in the past. This practice generally makes Redditors pretty hostile when it comes to poor quality or generic content. So, if you want to share something on Reddit, make sure it’s actually worth sharing. Try and create something unique. First, you must understand the Reddit ecosystem and Redditors. The Reddit community has it’s own sense of humor, inside jokes and ways of doing things. Hang around, contribute, make some posts yourself, comment on others. Generally, take the time to soak up the atmosphere and try to understand who you will be speaking to. Redditors are typically college educated, politically active, online savvy young people (63% being under 25). This doesn’t mean you have to pretend to fit in that demographic if you don’t, but understand that a lot of the people reading and commenting probably are.
- Have a sense of humor – If people do call you out, insult your content, or generally make trouble, don’t take it too seriously. Reddit is essentially a lighthearted place. There are big political debates, discussions about terrorism and religion. Usually these discussions are based in good humor. The same is expected from a business. If you can’t take a joke and dish out a few in return, maybe Reddit isn’t for you.
- Paid Reddit ads – All of the above points are written with the idea that you’re just contributing to Reddit as a normal user. You do have the option to create paid Reddit promoted posts, as well as creating unpaid content. Or, display ads may be the way to go. The principles above are all still valid. Remember to keep things fun, think about who you’re talking to, and try to share something unique.
Creating Reddit Ads
Is your ideal customer using Reddit? How are you using this popular platform to reach them? Well-placed and complementary advertising may be the right step for your business… as long as your honest and you’ve got thick skin.
How can we help?
Are you active on social media or Reddit? Does the idea of Reddit ads interest you?
We are Spectrum Group Online, and we offer strategic and tactical consulting so you can monetize your online presence. Call us for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to discuss your website’s user experience and translate that into sales.