Last Updated on September 9, 2020
For DIY Keyword Research
We often get asked questions about how hard it is to learn White Hat SEO, especially effective keyword research and content optimization. Well, the answer is now really easy! Join our upcoming local class where you’ll get hands-on instruction. This UC Berkeley Extension course if perfect for business owners who want to do-it-themselves or for digital marketers who want to hone their White Hat SEO skills. It’s a four-week class with 12 hours of instruction on the Belmont campus.Ready to Talk?
Wearing a White Hat is a Long-Term Strategy
First of all, we want to set the right expectations. We only teach White Hat SEO — where you follow quality guidelines and don’t exploit loopholes in search engine rules. Thankfully the rules are pretty simple: manage your website with the intent of respecting and helping your human visitor. Grey Hat techniques may work faster, but it can get you into serious trouble with search filters (e.g., Panda, Penguin, Pigeon) or even a manual action.
So what does that mean? It means:
- You offer great information that’s ultimately useful and shareable.
- Your website is fast and mobile responsive.
- Information is easy to find on your website; it’s presented in a way that’s logical for your audience not how you want to sell.
- You add new relevant content often.
- Others in your industry think you’re a credible source by linking back to your content. It also means you keep a clean link profile.
Learn SEO with Us at UC Berkeley Extension
You can learn SEO basics with us at UC Berkeley Extension. It’s a four-week, hands-on class starting on March 18 6pm – 9pm at the Belmont campus. During the class, participants will:
- Uncover what White Hat SEO is and isn’t, as it applies to an online marketing strategy
- Apply in-depth keyword research for a business service/product (this is hands-on not theory)
- Learn how to optimize content using current best practices
- Measure a website’s health and White Hat SEO effectiveness using common and/or free tools
- Understand the tools and resources available for practical application
As I mentioned earlier, this is a hands-on course. While we will share some White Hat SEO theory, we’ll primarily focus on its application. You don’t need website coding experience, however you will need the following items:
- Familiarity with search engines (e.g., doing searches on Google, Bing, etc.)
- A laptop with the latest version of an internet browser (e.g., Chrome, Firefox) and Google Sheets or Excel
- Access to a live website and its data connecting to: Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools, and Google AdWords. FYI – these are all free accounts.
- At least two web pages or blog posts for optimization
- Marketing in the Age of Google by Vanessa Fox.
If you’re looking to learn White Hat SEO, this class provides an excellent foundation. You get 12 hours of instruction for only $450. Register for the class now.
If the timing doesn’t work, that’s ok. We’ll offer a similar class this Summer. Let us know and we’ll put you on the wait list. Or, if you’d like specialized training for your business, we offer that too.