Highlights & Business Insights
We’ve all heard that tablet usage is up and that mobile devices are taking over. All kinds of tablets — iPad, Android, Microsoft Surface — are gaining in popularity. And their usage is serious business. In this post I’ll share some of the highlights of a tablet usage study done by Chitika and where to look for your mobile traffic data.
North American Tablet Usage
According to Chitika, prime web browsing time for North Americans is in the late evening, with highest usage between 7 to 11pm. While some users check emails and news sites in the morning upon rising, that’s not the norm. Tablet usage is significantly lower in the morning hours.
Is behavior different depending upon OS (Operating System) type? The report indicated:
- Microsoft Surface users seem to use their device more frequently during business hours
- iPad and Android tablet usage patterns are nearly identical
- iPads generate the majority of North American Web traffic at all hours
Check Your Analytics
Since tablet usage is on the upswing, how is your website serving this audience? The best place to look is in Google Analytics. From the main dashboard, go to Audience. There are several pieces of important information about how your website is viewed.
- Browser/OS section – indicates which browsers your audience uses. Use this info to make sure that your website renders well on all types of browsers.
- Mobile Overview – provides a breakdown of how your website is accessed via desktop, mobile (smartphone) and tablet.
- Devices – shows the different kinds of devices used to view your site.
If you want to get fancy, you can use advanced segmentation to isolate mobile traffic and see what pages are viewed most and how visitors flow through your website. For example, retailers may find that store locations, hours and phone numbers are most heavily accessed via smartphone and tablets are used to compare online prices while shopping in their store.
What’s your tablet usage? When are your peak times?
How can we help?
Need help sifting through your website’s Analytics data? Do you know what’s bringing qualified traffic to your site?
We are the spectrum group online, and we offer strategic and tactical consulting so you can monetize your online presence. Call us for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to discuss your website’s user experience and translate that into sales.