Last Updated on July 31, 2020
Big Message In a Tiny Space
Making sure your content marketing is friendly for the small screen is now an essential element. For those businesses who use pdfs to share details like product specifications, you should be asking “are pdfs mobile friendly?” In this post, we’ll answer that question plus cover some tips to ensure that what you share is ready (and appropriate) for mobile users.Ready to Talk?
Primary Mobile Usage
According to Nielsen, people use their mobile devices to stay connected. Checking social media is the most popular activity. But it is much lower for desktop/laptop usage. Understanding how your target audience uses their mobile phones to view your website is a key piece of market intelligence. We suggest that you dig into Google Analytics to see how your current website is faring for mobile traffic. Given that most users are checking email on the fly, what’s the likelihood they will read a multi-page pdf on a small screen? While a small percentage of users may have the patience to pinch and explore an online document, pdfs aren’t the most mobile-friendly content. You might present the same information in a different way so it’s easier for your mobile audience to view it on the fly.
Local Search Implications
SearchEngineLand reported that half of mobile search has a local intent. Mobile users are looking for on-the-go info. So what does this mean:
- Phone numbers, address, maps, directions about your business should be easily found via a mobile device.
- If you run AdWords campaigns, be sure to use extensions as it adds extra information to enhance your ad. It provides direct site links, making it easier for mobile users to navigate to exactly what they want/need.
- Don’t forget about your Google Places profile (now part of Google+) as this is typically placed near the top of a Search Engine Results Page (SERP); your contact details and a map in this area can attract clicks.
- Shoppers are comparing your goods/services with your competition while they are in your retail store. Matching “internet pricing” can appeal to the pull of instant gratification.
- Are mobile apps appropriate for your business? 7 out of 10 smartphone users download apps. How could you use an app to provide useful product-related content?
So, the short answer to “are pdfs mobile friendly”… no, not really. How do you present content for the small screen?