Last Updated on
Smartphones to Phone Plans
You can already buy a smartphone directly from Google. I’m on my third Google-direct, unlocked smartphone. Yesterday news sites reported that Google wireless plans are on the horizon. Let’s imagine a world where everything about your mobile phone is linked to the Mountain View giant.
Is It Really Real?
Unnamed sources were cited in the news, including the Wall Street Journal and San Jose Mercury News. No one at Google has been actually quoted… just references to sources like “people familiar with the matter.” Hmmm.
What Google Wireless Means
It looks like Google Wireless would use Sprint’s and T-Mobile’s infrastructure, rather than build their own. That means they’d buy wholesale and repackage for the consumer under their own brand name. Analysts predict that it would create even more price-pressure on an industry that is struggling with commoditization and increasing costs.
Imagine Everything Google
Google Wireless would join the ranks of these products and services:
- Unlocked phone directly from the Play store. By the way, you can add the Nexus 5 or 6 to your wish list as they are currently out of stock :/
- Google Voice which provides a free phone number; once configured calls are forwarded to other phone numbers. Think of it like a free Ring Central account, where you can have a public/business line and it rings on your personal phone.
- Tablets like the Nexus 9
- Tech Wear including smart watches
- Entertainment Gadgets including Chromecast and Nexus Player
- Google Fiber currently in beta mode; it provides high-speed Internet services. By the way, you can determine if your city is on the development list and sign up for updates.
What would your work look like if all your devices and Internet-related services were controlled by Google? Scary or simple?
How can we help?
Launching a website and need help with design? Or, are you tweaking your landing pages to improve sales conversion?
We are the spectrum group online, and we offer strategic and tactical consulting so you can monetize your online presence. Call us for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to discuss your website’s user experience and translate that into sales.