Spikes to SERPs & DNS Bugs
Whoa… it looks like there was a Google Algorithm Change in November. We monitor MozCast for any fluctuations in the Big G’s search program. I’ll explain the metrics behind the blip and share related SEO insights.
Details of the Google Algorithm Change November 2013
If you’re reading this on Black Friday, you’re probably a hard-core SEOer like me. As such, let me share the geeky facts about the November 14 spike:
- MozCast temperature was 102.2 which is well above normal (typical range between 55-70 degrees). The day before and after went back to typical readings.
- SERPmetrics (data that show SERP fluctuations) also showed a spike.
- Big 10 – these are the % of Top 10 Rankings – shows if big brands reaped the benefits of the Google Algorithm Change November 2013. Sites like Wikipedia, Amazon and eBay enjoyed one day gains of 3-5%.
- Looks like the algo change had a little impact on domain diversity, shuffling who dominates in SERPs.
- Dr. Pete Meyers of Moz reported that Google had DNS issues the same day. Lots of Webmaster reported experiences with Googlebot errors.
What’s the Big Deal?
Well, we SEOers love to speculate and dig into data, don’t we? The upshot? It looks like Google’s update in mid November was more like a traditional roll out of an search update (versus events like integrating Panda tweaks into the general algorithm). Matt Cutts hasn’t confirmed or denied the November 2013 update. Dr. Pete muses that as we enter the Holiday buying craze, SERPs will experience seasonal fluctuations.
My advice? Continue the course of consistently adding quality content and following quality White Hat SEO guidelines. Blips like the Google Algorithm Change November 2013 is just one day. Temps rose 95 degree yesterday (Tuesday, November 26) and no one has raised a red flag yet. I think it’s what you do every day that counts.
Did you notice a change? Either to SERP rankings or Googlebot errors?
How can we help?
Need help creating your WordPress website’s SEO infrastructure? Want to drive traffic with right and competitive keyword research?
We are the spectrum group, and we offer strategic and tactical consulting so you can monetize your online presence. Call us for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to discuss your website’s user experience and translate that into sales.